Avoid a sealcoating and asphalt paving scam.
When it comes to protecting parking lots, property managers often turn to professional sealcoating services. Over the years, more and more property owners are seeking pavement maintenance for their parking lots to increase their asphalt surfaces’ durability. However, with many contractors offering these maintenance services, it is becoming more common for business owners and property managers to experience a sealcoating scam.
Countless property owners fall victim to such scams, whether it be through poor quality of work or materials used. With so many contractors claiming the same things, it can be challenging to determine who is qualified for the job. Knowing how to spot a sealcoating scam is essential since it can save you money and protect your asphalt parking lot.
Read on to see how you can avoid a scam, as well as some warning signs to watch out for when working with asphalt paving “contractors.”
How Does a Sealcoating Scam Occur?
Any property manager can be fooled by a sealcoating scam, so being prepared for these occurrences is essential. Typically, what happens is a “contractor” offers parking lot maintenance or asphalt sealcoating services at a low rate, when compared to other sealcoating service providers. At times, the company representative may tell you they are offering a limited-time special, citing that they have leftover materials or excess pavement sealer to be used up.
Essentially, the scam uses pressure tactics to make customers feel like they are losing out on something big, especially since they market at a reduced price and claim the offer only runs for a limited time. The scam can work in many ways. In some cases, they may start the work and stop halfway, asking for additional payment to proceed.
In other cases, you may return home to see that no sealcoating was actually applied to your parking lot. Sealcoating scams are particularly common during summer, but they can occur at any time of the year.
Practices to Avoid Scams
Being watchful for a potential sealcoating scam is essential to ensure you get top-quality work performed on your parking lot. Given the common set-up for the scam, try to watch out for people who may be loitering around your neighborhood or showing up at your door uninvited. The moment they offer you some type of pavement service and demand payment before continuing, that will be your sign to decline and back out.
To avoid running into such scams, here are some tips and advice that you can follow:
- Ask for references, contact numbers, and any other information, then get back to the representative before accepting the job.
- Beware of contractors who ask you for checks made out to cash since most reputable companies will have the check made out to the business name.
- Do research beforehand and find a company that you feel comfortable working with.
- Reputable contractors take time establishing their reputation within the vicinity, so make sure their license plate is within the state and that the truck is lettered with the company name.
- Legitimate contractors who offer Asphalt Paving or Asphalt Repair do not ask for cash up front, so watch out for those who pressure you to pay if full before providing services.
Get Reputable Sealcoating Services Today from ACPLM
If you need sealcoating for your parking lot, contact ACPLM at 888-959-9637. Only trust professionals when doing the job, so you can be sure that you get top-quality services. Feel free to contact us to learn more about what we offer and to schedule a free consultation.